General documents required for a visa

The information provided here is the general visa documents required by embassies when you apply for a visa. This information is to enlighten you about the general visa documents you will normally need when applying for visa. You are required to go to your embassy’s website to read more about the exact documentations they might required from you. You are also allowed to add any supporting documents that you think will make your case very strong in order to get the visa you deserve. Bear in mind that, submission of all the documents required from you by the consulate does not guarantee that your visa application will be successful. Moreover, ensure that all documents are in English or add a translation of your documents so the embassy can understand them. Ensure all documents are original and not photocopies. However, you must add photocopies to the original if you want the original back.

The general documentation required for a visa is as follows:

  • Application form: Most embassies now require you to fill the application forms online. The form must be dated and signed by you, the applicant.
  • Recent passport photograph:

According to the visa photo requirements by many consulates, it must be taken within the last 3 or 6 months. Is advisable you take a recent passport photo which resemble your current looks.

  • Passport(s)

You must have a valid travel document either national passport or any other document that allows the holder to travel internationally. Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months after the date you leave the host country. You must have blank pages in your passport available for your visa. If you hold other passports, or have held previous passport, you must submit them with your application. Make photocopy of your passport data page and any visas in your passport (if any) and attach to the application.

  • Proof of accommodation You will be required to show a document that proves where you will be staying. Such documents include: a rental agreement, a hotel or a hostel reservation documents etc. If you will be staying with the person inviting you, e.g. your family or friend, there is a portion on the application forms that ask you to state where you will be staying, you are suppose to state the person’s full name, address and other important information that will be asked on the form. And you must add a photocopy of the person’s passport or permanent resident permit to your application. In this case, is enough to give the person’s particulars. But if you stated on the form you will be staying at a hotel or hostel then you must prove with documents eg. hotel or hostel reservation. Ensure that the date of arrival and departure you provided on the application forms tally with the dates on the hotel/hostel reservation to prevent any refusal of the visa. Make sure the date is the same on every documents you provide to the embassy.
  • Evidence of funds/financial means

A visa applicant is required to prove that he/she will be able to support him/herself financially throughout his/her stay in the host country. The host country require this from the applicant to ensure that he/she does not become a burden to the state. An applicant can prove sufficient financial means with one of the following:

  1. Bank statement that shows you have sufficient money in your account for your trip. the statement must present the most recent transactions for the account, including salary or other regular income, up to the date of your application. Some embassies require up to 3 months recent statement and others require up to 6 months recent statement. Your bank statement must be original or a print-out which has been stamped by a branch of your bank and shows your address.
  2. Your most recent payslips that show how much salary you earn every month. Most embassies require for 3 months payslips so you need to take note of it.

3. Sponsorship Letter- In an event where you are being sponsored by a spouse, partner member of your family or friend, they should provide an original, signed and dated letter stating that they are undertaking to support you during your stay in country.

They should provide a bank statement to the same criteria as described above. Most immigration offices in the host country require your sponsor provide financial prove to their offices to check and approve it. When is approved your sponsor will be given a certificate or letter from the immigration to send copies to you and the embassy rather than sending you a bank statement. It is therefore advisable the sponsor make enquires from the immigration before taking any step. The sponsor must also prove with evidence of their relationship to you e.g. marriage certificate, pictures, money transfer receipt send to you the applicant or any other document they have.

If you will be able to provide all of these documents that will be the best i.e. bank statement, pay slips and sponsorship letter. All though, is not a requirement to provide all 3. Please not that there is no set amount of funds that will result in the approval or refusal of an application. The visa officer will decide whether you have enough funds based on your individual circumstance

If you will be able to provide all of these documents that will be the best i.e. bank statement, pay slips and sponsorship letter. All though, is not a requirement to provide all 3. Please not that there is no set amount of funds that will result in the approval or refusal of an application. The visa officer will decide whether you have enough funds based on your individual circumstances.

  • Proof of Employment Status
  • Employees: An employee is required to provide an original, up-to-date, signed leave letter from your employer, employment contract, bank statement which shows your monthly salary and a certificate of income tax deduction or Income Tax Return form.
  • Students: Students are required to provide acceptance letter from your school or university, school fees receipts, transcripts and signed letter from your place of study on headed paper with full contact details.
  • Self employed: As a self employed applicant, you must provide an original certificate of incorporation, up-to-date bank statements for your business covering 6 months period

immediate prior to your application and Income Tax Returns. Add photo copies of any original documents you want to return back to you.

  • Invitation Letter

If the purpose of your travel is to visit family and friends, then you will need an original singed letter of invitation from your reference abroad, including their address. This is a sample letter of invitation that can serve you and your reference abroad as a guide to write an appropriate letter of invitation.

Samuel Asare Gyapong

P. O. Box 296

Malmo, Sweden

Malebro st. 29 street

UK Embassy

P. O. Box 296

Accra, Ghana

To Whom it May Concern:

RE: Michael Agyei, Asare Mark and Steven Ntim

This is to confirm that I Samuel Asare Gyapong write in support of my family’s visa application to join me in the UK to support me at my graduation ceremony. Steven Ntim’s passport number is G1411401 and date of birth is 25/10/1990. Asare Mark’s passport number is G1808807 and date of birth is 21/07/1982. Michael Agyei’s passport number is G1203921 and date of birth is 21/09/1994. They will be visiting the UK from 20/11/2019 to 23/11/2019.

I am a student at the university of Derby (student number: 199422553) and will be graduating on the 21st November, 2019. The graduation will be held at the Derby Arena, Royal Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8JB. I will be awarded with a bachelor’s degree in business and management.

I have sufficient means to support their travelling expenses, food and accommodation. They will be staying with me at 49 Somerley Dripe Faige wood, West Saesex RE50 3SU. I will ensure they leave the UK after the graduation ceremony.

In support of the application please find enclose:

  • My Bank Statement and pay slip
  • Passport copy
  • Permanent resident

I trust that this information is enough to support their visa application.

Best Regards

Samuel A. Gyapong

  • Residence Permission

If you are residing in a different country, you are required to evidence that, you have permission to reside in the country from which you are applying your visa from e.g. residence permit or green card. You must add a photo copy of the resident permit from the country you applying from. This should be both front and back of residence card or stamp or sticker in your passport.

  • Application for children under 18 years of age

A written consent letter from both parents is always required for a child to travel. If is a sole-custody, an original legal documentation showing sole-guardianship is required. The child’s birth certificate showing the names of both parents is required as well. The child must have an international passport to travel and both parents must submit a photo ID with a signature on it as well as photo copies of any original documents submitted.

  • Travel Insurance

Some countries require that you purchase a travel insurance that will cover your entire trip in case of any medical emergency as illness, accidents and even repatriation in case of death. For example Schengen States require you to have travel insurance before you apply for the visa whiles UK embassy do not require for it.

  • Round trip ticket reservation

Some countries require you to make a ticket reservation before attending your visa interview or submitting your visa application. It must include dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from the host country. For example, German embassy normally require for it whiles Denmark embassy do not require for it. In this case, you are suppose to check on the embassy website.

  • Supporting documents

Supporting documents are any documents that you can add to your visa application documents to make your case strong enough to obtain a visa or to leave the visa officer with no doubt. These documents are not required or compulsory to add to your visa application but you may do so to make it easy to get a visa. Examples of supporting documents are: land documents, house

documents, pictures of you and the person inviting you, money transfer receipts to prove the person inviting you have sent you money before, school receipts and any other documents you may think of.

You need to take note that, most of the documents mentioned and described above are required when you apply for a non-immigrant visa or visa for short stay. If your purpose of your visit is to stay for a longer period or acquire immigrant visa, then most of these documents mentioned below are needed when applying for immigrant visa. There are special requirements when applying for immigrant visas and these are as follows:

  • Family Sponsorship

If you are applying for a visa to immigrate to a host country, both you and your family member which is your spouse, mother, father, child and any other relative in the host country are required to meet immigration sponsorship requirement. Most of the host countries immigration require that your sponsor file for a petition and must be approved before you will be allowed to apply for the visa. It is advisable that your sponsor contact the immigration or visit their website in order to know exactly what they are suppose to do and the documents they are suppose to present since the requirement is different depending on how you are related to your sponsor. The sponsor must be at least 18 years of age, must meet the minimum income requirement, must provide a written commitment of financial support, must be a citizen or permanent resident residing in the host country etc. Some countries waive the requirements if you are a citizen and others do not. A person cannot sponsor you:

  • if they receive social support for reasons other than disability,
  • Is in jail or prison,
  • have filed for bankruptcy and have not receive order of discharge from the court,
  • failed to support a previous-sponsored relative
  • were convicted of a violent or sexual offense or threatened to cause bodily harm to a relative

These are the general requirement a country may impose on a person to prevent them to sponsor their relative. In order to find out if they also apply in the host country you are applying from, is

important you and your sponsor find out from their website. The sponsored person must be a relative to the sponsor, must undergo an Immigration Medical Examination(not all country’s require that), must prove he/she has bought a medical insurance coverage for at least a year(not all country’s require that)

  • Work Sponsorship

You need to be employed by a license-sponsor to be able to apply to live and work in the host country. Your sponsor checks that you can do the job they’re hiring you for and if it qualifies you for a visa, they will assign you a certificate of sponsorship to prove this. If your work is not sponsoring, you are required to provide a bank statement with sufficient means to support yourself.

  • Student Financial Support/Sponsorship

If you want to study for a longer period in the host country, you must provide a bank statement to prove you have sufficient financial means to cover the first year of tuition, as well as living expenses and return trip to his or her home country. If you cannot support yourself, you need to have a sponsor in the host country or your home country who will be liable to support your education. You can also look for scholarships programs online and apply for them, if you are luckily enough to get approve by one of them, then they will sponsor your education .

  • Criminal Record Certificate

A Criminal Record Certificate is required from you if you want to work, study and live in the host country. This will prove you have conducted yourself well in your home country and you have not broken any law. You will need the certificate from any country you’ve stayed in for a total of 12 months or moreover the last 10 years.

  • Marriage Certificate

If you are married and moving to join your spouse in the host country, you are required to prove your marriage with your marriage certificate. For those married within the host country, a certificate of marriage from the province where the marriage took place will show that the marriage is valid. If the marriage took place outside the host country, it must be valid under the law of the country where it took place as well as under the host country’s law. Note that same-sex marriages are permitted in some countries and are valid under the law in that country whiles is illegal in other countries.

  • Confirmation of Acceptance For Studies

If you are traveling to the host country for the purpose of study, you are required to prove with a letter of acceptance for studies from the education provider. Once you are offered a place of study on a course or program, you education provider will send you a letter of acceptance confirming your place on the course.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: